Our own environmental management
Our purpose is to ensure that the natural resources of Wales are sustainably maintained, enhanced and used, now and in the future.
We want to set an example in Wales in how we manage our organisation’s own environmental impact by:
- reducing the amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that all our activities put into the atmosphere
- reducing energy use in our offices and buildings
- reducing the amount of water we use
- increase resource efficiency in our processes
- reducing the waste we send to landfill
- reducing the amount of miles we drive
- integrating environmental, social and economic factors into our procurement activity
See our Environmental Policy Statement for more information about our environmental commitment.
We continually improved our environmental performance in 2016/17
We attained the revised IS014001:2015 environmental management standard and certification following independent external audits and verification.
We attained UK spill accreditation for the first time, improving our ability to respond to incidents.
We retained woodland certification (UK Woodland Assurance Standard) for the Welsh Government Woodland Estate that we manage, following independent external audits and verification. This enables us to produce FSC/PEFC certified timber from the estate.
Our emissions from our buildings and business travel reduced by over 14%, exceeding our target of 5%.
In our occupied buildings we reduced our use of:
- electricity 6.7%
- mains water 7.9%
- heating oil 29.3%
- LPG 38.4%
Our business travel mileage reduced 11.2%.