Our own environmental management
Our purpose is to ensure that the natural resources of Wales are sustainably maintained, enhanced and used, now and in the future.
We want to set an example in Wales in how we manage our organisation’s own environmental impact by:
- reducing the amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that all our activities put into the atmosphere
- reducing energy use in our offices and buildings
- reducing the amount of water we use
- increase resource efficiency in our processes
- reducing the waste we send to landfill
- reducing the amount of miles we drive
- integrating environmental, social and economic factors into our procurement activity
See our Environmental Policy Statement for more information about our environmental commitment.
We continually improved our environmental performance in 2017/18
We retained certification to the IS014001:2015 environmental management standard following independent external audits and verification.
We retained woodland certification (UK Woodland Assurance Standard) for the Welsh Government Woodland Estate that we manage, following independent external audits and verification. This enables us to produce Forest Stewardship Council® FSC®/PEFC certified timber from the estate. Our FSC licence code is FSC-C115912.
We retained our UK spill association accreditation, ensuring effective response to incidents.
Our emissions from our buildings and business travel reduced by 13%, exceeding our target of 5%.
In our occupied buildings we reduced our use of:
- electricity 5.6%
- mains water 6.2%
- LPG 12.9%
Our business travel mileage reduced by 10.9%.