Senior Procurement Advisor
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours a week
Post number: 201740
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
NRW’s purpose is to pursue the sustainable management of natural resources in Wales, this means that the work and support provided by NRW Procurement is extremely varied and interesting in nature. With alignment to strategic categories, the team provide support to Contract Managers across a range of business areas, inclusive of, but not limited to Civil Engineering, Forest Operations, Land Management, ICT, Fleet and Facilities and many others.
The NRW Procurement team play a vital role in the delivery of NRW’s Corporate Objectives, Commercial Strategy and Service Plans; implementing best practice in procurement across NRW, promoting the benefits of a compliant, flexible process that achieves value for money for our stakeholders.
The department relies on qualified and experienced procurement professionals to bring a depth of understanding of the subject matter in line with all relevant procurement legislation, policies and procedures that we must adhere to.
The role of Procurement Senior Advisor will provide dedicated support to Fleet and Facilities as well as leading onother procurement requirements as required; you will also help NRW achieve its wider initiatives and objectives that seek to mitigate the climate and nature emergency.
You should be a member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS) with
substantial and relevant experience of leading complexed procurements within the public sector. It would be expected that full MCIPS qualification is obtained if not already achieved.
Your responsibilities include:
- Support the delivery of an integrated and professional procurement service in support of category management (and NRW corporate objectives), providing advice to clients on strategic procurement issues and contributing to the development of NRWs procurement strategy.
- Hold accountability under Committing our Money, ensuring robust, compliant and value for money outcomes.
- Analyse a range of complex information to identify cost improvement opportunities within Category spend & Delivery Plans, to include a review of contractual agreements.
- Deliver procurement outcomes and improvements (in cost, efficiency, value or quality) in accordance with agreed targets and key performance indicators.
- Build and maintain influential and collaborative relationships with internal customers to insure awareness of the opportunities, risks and best practice relevant to procurement, influencing the work of our internal customers to provide positive outcomes.
- Provide specialist advice and guidance in order to manage commercial and sustainability risk, to improve ways of working and drive efficiency, as evidenced by savings and overall value.
- Provide procurement leadership and support in prescribed areas of activity working with a range of people from across the organisation.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with the Welsh Government, the National Procurement Service for Wales, Sponsored Bodies, Agencies, service providers and other stakeholders.
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- The Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (Full Membership or working towards).
- Substantial experience as a Procurement practitioner, in the application of knowledge and the specific requirements of the post.
- Substantial experience of influencing procurement decisions at a project level.
- Experience of undertaking and leading procurement exercises, demonstrating success with their delivery.
- Experience of undertaking high level and complex negotiations with supply partners.
- Transferrable experience of using procurement to deliver business objectives.
- Understanding of procurement concepts, practices, governance & techniques, & maintenance of this through a range of interests & peer group interaction.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Responsibility for People
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date: 2 October 2022
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Llinos Hughes at Llinos.email@example.com
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.