Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours a week, Monday to Friday
Post number: 203331
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working).
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
If you want an exciting role in Payroll this is your job. If you want an interesting organisation that is tackling climate change this is the organisation for you.
This role, as you will see, is varied. It is key to ensuring we pay our staff accurately and on time. It is pivotal to ensuring the team works effectively and efficiently in order to ensure the team continue to deliver a professional payroll service serving the needs of our staff. You will need to build and maintain good working relationships with HR, Finance , Audit, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Civil Service Pension Scheme (CSPS) administrators, the Environment Agency Pension Fund (EAPF) and others. However, beyond all of this you will need to have the ability to find solutions to issues, look for efficiencies and work in a varied and demanding environment.
Your responsibilities include:
- Deliver a payroll service to over 2300 staff which includes 2 pension schemes (CSPS and EAPF), various pay elements and allowances, contractual and statutory absence payments and management, overtime, expenses, interaction with HMRC and relevant bodies
- Work closely with ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Senior Specialist (currently Unit 4 Business World), system admin, external consultants and business finance on the maintenance of the HR & Payroll system and implementation of new initiatives, providing management information as required.
- Ensuring a reliable and effective service and successful delivery of high profile projects and compliance with HMRC and pension regulations and other statutory requirements are met
- Lead the People and Pay Team and its development into a sustainable and resilient customer hub that will be relied upon by the business to provide a range of internal customer facing services and support customer needs whilst providing ever improving customer experiences.
- Take a lead role in the strategic development of customer focused approaches to People and Pay management and ensuring the delivery of:
- Payroll processing, administration and reporting.
- Pension set-up, administration and reporting for Civil Services and Local Government pensions schemes.
- Employee life cycle administration.
- Data Integrity and security.
- Organisational structure maintenance.
- Time and absence management.
- Specialist HR reporting.
- Business continuity and resilience.
- Legal and Taxation compliance
- Ensure the People and Pay Service has a prioritised and balanced budget and ensure when necessary appropriate re-allocation of resources in year in accordance with NRW policies.
- Responsible for the ongoing development and improvement of the People & Pay system within NRW and provide financial salary and pension related technical advice to organisation wide transformation projects and initiatives.
- Work closely with HR Manager and other roles across the People Management function to ensure compliance with employment law, in our People Policies and Procedures and that these are implemented and interpretated correctly across the HR transactional, people and payroll services
- Work closely with Financial Accounting & Governance Team, Audit Wales and internal audit to ensure accurate financial governance and reporting in our Annual Accounts for our payroll and pensions function
- Build effective payroll networks and ensure that NRW benefits from innovation and learning from best practice from other customer focused organisations.
- Support Leadership Team Member and deputise when required.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Considerable experience working within a People and Pay environment, at a senior/managerial level.
- Detailed understanding of developments in People and Pay management best practice.
- A Professional Payroll qualification or significant experience.
- Demonstrable experience of using and working with a variety of payroll, HR & Finance systems and other software/applications.
- In depth understanding of People & Pay Policies, and relevant tax requirements.
- Understand, interpret and provide advice and solutions on technical and complex People and Pay related matters and communicate the results to non-finance staff in an understandable and engaging way.
- Experience of implementing change or process improvement
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Responsibility for People
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date: 28th September 2022 at 12pm
Interviews will take place on 24th October 2022 through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Steve Burton at Steve.Burton@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.