Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse or by clicking “Continue,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie policy.

EIA Scoping

EIA scoping under Marine Works Regulations 2007 (as amended)

What is EIA scoping?

Where an Environmental Statement (ES) is required, a potential applicant can request a 'scoping opinion' as to the data and information to be included in the ES. This page provides details about the scoping process and how to apply

How do I apply for a scoping opinion?

Potential applicants request a scoping opinion by submitting the information detailed below to the Permit Receipt Centre:

Permit Receipt Centre
Natural Resources Wales
Cambria House 29
Newport Road
CF24 0TP


‘Marine Scoping Opinion’ should be clearly referenced on the correspondence.

Requests for scoping opinions are charged at an hourly rate. For more information see our fees and charges webpage.

What information should be provided with a request for a scoping opinion?

A request for a scoping opinion must be accompanied by a scoping report, which must, as a minimum, include the following information:

A chart, plan or map sufficient to identify the location of the regulated activity and of other activities to be carried out in the course of the project

A description of the nature and purpose of the project and the regulated activity and their possible effects on the environment

Such other information or representations as the applicant may wish to provide or make

This information should be submitted as a ‘Scoping Report’ providing a draft outline of the ES and summarising what the main issues/effects are envisaged to be. The Scoping Report should also propose any relevant studies to be undertaken, where necessary, and/or useful sources of information.

How is a scoping opinion reached?

Before issuing a scoping opinion, we will consult with internal experts and a number of consultation bodies and the relevant Local Planning Authority.

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.