Benthic habitat assessments for marine developments
When to use benthic habitat assessment guidance
This is best practice technical guidance for developers designing marine benthic habitat surveys and monitoring in relation to maritime developments.
This guidance sets out our methods and approaches for survey and monitoring of benthic marine habitats where such work is required to support environmental and ecological impact assessments for developments and activities in or near Welsh waters.
Read the guidance
There are nine parts to this guidance (PDF):
- Benthic habitat assessment guidance for marine developments and activities (overarching)
- Introductory over arching principles and methods
- Intertidal rocky shore habitats and rockpools
- Intertidal sediment habitats
- Horse mussel Modiolus modiolus reefs
- Sabellaria reefs
- Seagrass beds
- Subtidal habitats
- Subtidal sediments